Monday, April 11, 2011

Diana Wynne Jones

I was sad to hear that Diana Wynne Jones passed away at the end of March.  In fact, a few of my favorite authors have passed away quite recently, including Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series.  Diana Wynne Jones wrote numerous fantasy stories that were whimsical, humourous, and sometimes downright strange.  She knew how to tell a story, and I think she is one of the best writers of children's fantasy literature.  I have not read all of her books, but I will mention a few of my favorites: Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, Dogsbody,  and The Chronicles of Chrestomanci.  All of these are great choices for those 10 and up.  I believe Dogsbody is out of print, though I am sure one can find it used.  Jones was around long before JK Rowling, but I only discovered her after I read a few of the Harry Potter books.  Her stories were a wonderful discovery for me, and the Harry Potter fan should check Jones' books out-literally.  Go to the library!  Or, take a trip to your local bookstore.  We will remember Diana Wynne Jones as one of the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment