Saturday, November 16, 2013

Truce, by Jim Murphy

Courtesy of Google
I did not know too much about World War I before I read this book aimed for young readers.  I think we barely scratched the surface of both the world wars in my history classes.  I do not think there is anything wrong, either, with an adult reading a children’s history book if one is looking for a simplified history of a previously unknown or seldom-studied topic.  Books aimed for children often provide a great introduction for the adult to various subject matter, especially that of science or history, which may be presented in a more complex manner in a book geared for adults. 
Jim Murphy elegantly tells the story of what is known as The Great War, focusing most of it on the events leading up to the famous Christmas Truce.  There are many photos and illustrations, and a useful map that helped me place where all the countries and trenches were in relation to each other.  His writing is truthful without going into too many of the gory details: I believe young children do not need to be exposed that soon to the terrible atrocities of war.  I recommend the book to anyone ten and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment