Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Human Body: A Book with Guts! By Dan Green; illustrated by Basher


I love Basher’s illustrations, and I think it is great that he illustrates children’s introductory science books.  I recently read this to get a brush-up on my knowledge of the human body.  I quite enjoyed it.  Each chapter builds on ideas and concepts introduced in previous chapters, and rather than organizing each chapter by organ system, it starts with the basic building blocks of life (cells and other microscopic organisms) and progresses to grouping systems that work together in subsequent chapters.  It is a fun read for kids because each organism “narrates” its own story of how it functions.  Human Body is actually part of the Basher Science Books series; Basher has also illustrated a number of board books and picture books for toddlers that present early concepts such as Opposites and Shapes.  They’re really cute, and the kids at my bookstore love them.  I highly recommend them for young reluctant readers or budding scientists 8 or 9 and up who want to read a basic science book without being overwhelmed by sophisticated details.

No comments:

Post a Comment