Saturday, November 16, 2013

Tiger Eyes, by Judy Blume

Talk about books I haven’t read yet – hasn’t this one been out for more than twenty years??  Well, better late than never!  As a child, I made it through a few Judy Blume books; the Fudge books were favorites of mine, but I think I need to revisit and re-read Are You There, God?  It’s Me, Margaret and Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself.  Perhaps I just did not relate to the title characters; to be honest, I cannot give a clear answer on why I did not read more of Judy Blume growing up. 
Courtesy of Google
I really enjoyed Tiger Eyes.  It is about Davey, a girl who is coming to terms with her father’s sudden death.  Her mother moves her and her brother temporarily to stay with relatives in the Southwest – far away from their home on the East Coast where the tragedy occurred.  Davey finds her aunt and uncle overbearing, overprotective and overeager to keep Davey preoccupied with activities and outings in their efforts to help her through her grief.  In other words, they’re well-meaning, but Davey is having none of it.  On the one hand, she is a typical teenager and wishes to assert herself and be more independent from the adults in her life.  She does a lot of soul-searching and we see her identity develop and grow throughout the course of the story.  On the other hand, she is dealing with serious trauma, and only she can work herself through it.  No one else can do it for her.  She mirrors her mother, who in handling her own grief becomes self-absorbed and distant from her family.
What struck me about this book is that the entire time I was reading it, it felt genuine.  There is nothing presumptuous or contrived about the story or the characters.  The motivations and actions taken by everyone are convincing and natural.  The dialogue is not forced.  The ongoing pain of loss and the concomitant acceptance of death are wrenching.
Recommended for teenagers and adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment